Image Map

Monday, May 27, 2013

Set the Mood with a Playlist

3170746448_09f903e23d_z
Music and creativity are inexplicably linked. Both stimulate the brain, trigger emotions, and inspire people all over the world. A writing tip I discovered lately is to listen to music while you write. Compiling a writing playlist can help you get more writing done by putting you in the mood to put fingers to keyboard or pen to paper. William Shakespeare wrote, "If music be the food of love, play on." Good ol' Willy Shakes. He knew what was up.

My favorite resource for creating playlists is Grooveshark. It's easy to use and has an attractive interface and a massive collection of songs and artists. They have every song that I've ever looked up. For the sake of this post, I'll show you what the playlist for my latest novel looks like.

In this playlist, each one of the songs relates to the tone, characters, setting, or theme of the novel in some way. I have this music on in the background when I'm working on my novel. It helps me get into the writing zone, so to speak, so that I can make some serious progress.

What do you think? What kind of music do you listen to when you write?

3 comments:

  1. Now that I think about it, some of my best scenes, best writing flows for my novel have come about under the influence of some serious tunes. Funny how i hadn't put two and two together until now. A playlist for a novel is a great idea, especially if you're writing more than one and they each have a different feel. Thanks for this! Great ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  2. […] one of my recent posts, I talked about the connection between writing and music. It goes without saying that listening to […]

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...